Wednesday, December 24, 2008

My Sweet Little Monkey Man

This evening, as I was putting Brayden to bed, we had a rare moment. We had a difficult day today, he and I. All day today we've been butting heads. He's been testing his boundaries to see what Momma will and won't allow, and today she didn't allow much. Anyway, we were up in his room getting ready for bed. I started to walk across the room to grab his pajamas and turn out the overhead when I caught my toe in his bead maze (thereby catching it nearly a foot off the ground) and fell forward, hitting my leg on the corner of the box on which it is mounted. I hit the ground and started yelling the only word that seems to come out of my mouth when I'm in unbelievable pain. In my daze of pain and wondering if Brayden would pick up this word like he did d*mmit, I was aware of Brayden getting out of the chair and coming across the room to me. I don't remember what it was he was saying. It wasn't Daddy, but it was some other word meant to help me somehow. By the time Eli got to the door (after hearing me yell while downstairs with his headphones on, he dashed up the stairs), Brayden was petting me on the head saying "poor baby Momma". It was quite possibly the sweetest thing he's ever done. This was followed by more sweetness. I sat up and pulled my pant leg up to take a look at the dent in my leg which was turning hideously purple before my eyes, Brayden supported my leg from underneath and was running his other hand over my leg (but somehow knowing not to touch it directly) and babbling something that seemed meant either to heal my hurt or make me feel better. I asked if he would kiss my bobo, which seemed beyond his grasp. But he did put his hand behind my head and pull me to him so he could reach to kiss me on the nose (the only place where it seems is acceptable to kiss Mommas lately) four times! He is just too sweet. Shortly after he was done and off playing while I tried to tackle him and get him into his PJs.

0 comments: