Saturday, October 27, 2007

No, Mommy!

I've become one of those parents. The ones I used to look down on when I heard them say it. And now it has happened to me. My son said his first word! YAY! But I have to say that my reaction to this glorious event is rather selfish in nature. I was hoping his first word would be Dada, or maybe Mama. But alas, this is not to be. No, Brayden's first word was 'no'. This is understandable from a logical point of view. After all, it is very much the word that he hears most. And for that, I am embarrassed. I've been working on disciplining myself to say 'not for Brayden' more and 'no' less. But hey, at least the kid is talking! This is a huge relief to Eli and me. We've been vaguely concerned about why Brayden has waited so long to talk. And he's been so into his own made-up language we thought perhaps something was wrong. Maybe he wasn't comprehending what he hears properly or perhaps not making the link between sounds he hears and sounds he makes. But this fear has now been put to rest. So I imagine I can get over my selfish need for his first word to have been something more meaningful and sentimental long enough to toss him in the air and tell him how wonderful he is and rejoice in all the excitement that should rightfully go along with such an event. My baby said his first word!!!!!

1 comments:

plumharvest said...

Yay i am so glad!! I too hav been waiting...we should have a party!! Just kidding, you should bring him over some time so we can hear!!